I finally got the oil changed today, the first time since December 2008!

But what a chore! For one thing, all of the available options for pumping the oil out are difficult. There’s a hose under the engine that I should have been able to use, but I couldn’t get the cap off of it. I had used it the last time I’d changed the oil, but I didn’t want to force it this time. The little hose on my oil pump doesn’t fit into the dipstick opening, but that’s what I needed to have happen. After letting the engine warm up sufficiently I proceeded to pump out the rather nasty old oil from the filler opening. I had to hold the pump hose to that opening to get the job done, but it worked fine in the end. I’m pretty sure I got every last bit of it out.

Next was the oil filter. It’s so impossible to reach. And it was so hard to take off I thought it might be threaded opposite from normal. It wasn’t, but it took me forever to get the filter off. After I got it off, replacing it with a new one wasn’t a problem. I smeared the new filter’s gasket and the area on the engine where the gasket seats with fresh oil, hand-tightened the filter in place, then poured about 2-½ quarts of new oil into the engine.

the new filter  the new oil filter installed

And then my eye was drawn to the raw water impeller. This hasn’t been changed in 10 years! I had everything I needed on hand, and it was just a matter of getting it done. I shut the freshwater intake valve, then removed the impeller cover. I proceeded to pry and pull at the impeller thinking it would just slip off, but it didn’t. Finally the whole thing came out attached to a metal rod.

I needed to get the impeller off the rod but there was a c-clip that had to come off first. I used a pair of c-clip pliers.

I found that the impeller was pretty damaged. Two of the blades had broken off and I found a small piece of one of them inside the housing.

  

I pushed in the new impeller after I’d smeared the blades with Super Lube, having called my friend for advice on that. I reattached the c-clip. I pushed the rod back in place, not without some difficulty, then I lubed the new gasket and screwed the cover back in place.

I found out in later research that my friend’s advice to lube the gasket was wrong. It is supposed to go on dry. Once again free advice delivers what you pay for it.

I also learned that:

  1. always check the pump body for both wear and debris
  2. check the cover plate for scoring; replace it if there’s too much scoring; clean it with Scotch Brite pads; remove all traces of old gasket from both surfaces.
  3. use impeller lube (glycerine) to grease the inside of the pump body, including the back wall and the inside of the cover plate
  4. torque the plate screws to the proper spec

I started the engine to check for leaks and there were none.

I also secured the dock water hose reel to the dock with a couple of fender washers and screws while I was there. I don’t think anything could dislodge it now.