I motored Bisous to the Rocky Pointe boatyard lift dock at 7:30 this morning. I returned at 1:00 to go over what was needed. I was thrilled to learn that I’d be allowed to work on the boat myself while she’s in the yard. The boot stripe was filthy with river sludge. I’d been unsuccessful with … read more
Page 2 of 57
I’ve scheduled a haulout for the 23rd and have been scrubbing the decks from the intense winter rains. The green mildew has been overwhelming, and it’s very difficult to clean off. There are few sunny days as yet, so I’ve been taking advantage.
I bought new house batteries from United Battery today. I took in the T-105s that were 12 years old and saved myself the core charge of $25 each. I also bought a battery strap for easy handling.
I checked on the boat the other day and as soon as I approached her I smelled it. Rotten eggs. I’ve never smelled this before, but I knew it had to do with the batteries, although I didn’t know exactly what. When I opened the companionway doors I was flooded with the smell. I checked … read more
The hanging locker is a space that’s been sorely neglected over the years. A lot of work has been done that affects the locker, but nothing has ever been done to finish it off, as with plugs, with cleaning, and with paint. It’s been largely hidden behind a rack of clothing until now. It’s funny … read more
I’ve finally finished replacing the engine switches. Given that it was only the front covers that had deteriorated, for the glow plug and starter switches I decided to simply replace the front covers. These fit on perfectly and it meant I didn’t have to mess with the complex wiring. I would have done the same … read more
I’m trying to figure out how to install the new engine switches I’d purchased for $76 from Torresen Marine back in July 2012. I still need to replace the existing deteriorating ones. The original panel is long gone. The boatyard shop I’d relied on for advice back in 2001 had, over time, taken the panel out, … read more
I finished sewing the final v-berth cushion and took it to the boat today. I fitted it inside the forward cabin and it finishes the space nicely. This is the first time this cabin has had bunk cushions installed since I’d removed and discarded the vinyl ones that were original to this cabin. I also … read more
The port v-berth bunk cushion is finished and installed inside the boat. Covering this cushion was far more challenging than the saloon settee cushions were. There are so many angles in the forward cabin. The biggest issue had to do with forming the cushion cover around the water tank inlet hose. I finally got it … read more
The starboard settee cushion is completed. I sewed it with my Sailrite Apprentice machine and finished it this afternoon. I quickly took it to the boat.