I checked the impeller today to see if it needed to be replaced. I haven’t put that many hours on the engine since I last replaced it, but it gives peace of mind to be certain it’s not in pieces inside the pump body. I have a slip neighbor who is restoring a 1967 Alberg … read more
Category: maintenance (page 1 of 6)
Today I changed the oil in the engine for a final time. I started by pulling together the fuel oil and filter that I needed, along with my oil pump can. I bought three quarts of Delo 30W oil. I have many filters on hand. This is the oil can I’ve been using for years. … read more
An amazing turnaround for this haul out, and with everything finished by Thursday afternoon, I went to the boatyard on Friday to retrieve the boat only to find that there were unexpected delays with getting her launched. I’d hoped to get her out early in the day, at slack tide, but that wasn’t possible. The … read more
Bottom painting began yesterday. I stopped by this morning and attached the new zinc to the shaft. I couldn’t do it yesterday because the chain held the rudder in place and I needed to move it aside to get the zinc on. Today they’d changed the placement of the chain so that I could get … read more
We’ve had really warm weather these past few days. I went to the boat early and finished buffing the last of the boot stripe. Then I went hunting for a new zinc anode. The zinc is unusual in that it screws onto the end of the shaft and is held in place with a cotter … read more
I’ve scheduled a haulout for the 23rd and have been scrubbing the decks from the intense winter rains. The green mildew has been overwhelming, and it’s very difficult to clean off. There are few sunny days as yet, so I’ve been taking advantage.
Another warm, sunny day, and I took advantage of it by first washing the hull on starboard side in order to use my buffer to get the streaks out of the paint. While that was drying I scrubbed the aft-most teak coaming with teak cleaner and left it to dry. While the teak was drying I worked … read more
A rare sunny and warm day so I took advantage of it with some more polishing of the hull. With the boat against the dock on its starboard side I am trying to address all the issues that are easier to do from the dock than from on board the boat. Getting the streaks out of … read more
I ran the engine for a short while yesterday, as I haven’t run it since I changed the oil. I fixed the placement of the snubber on the bow line, and added a chafe guard to the second bow line.