I checked the impeller today to see if it needed to be replaced. I haven’t put that many hours on the engine since I last replaced it, but it gives peace of mind to be certain it’s not in pieces inside the pump body.

I have a slip neighbor who is restoring a 1967 Alberg 30. He’s the nicest man. He seems to love to look at my Cheoy Lee to see all the improvements I’ve made. It’s really nice to talk to someone who understands the whole process. It doesn’t happen often. He wanted to sit with me while I checked the impeller.

I needed to prepare first. I have a spare impeller on hand, but I needed to collect some petroleum jelly (used to lightly coat the inside of the impeller pump body so that a new impeller isn’t damaged before the water is introduced into the pump body) and the pliers for removing the c-clip that holds the impeller in place. Once I had those, I closed the fresh water intake valve and called Owen over.

We sat and chatted while I showed him the engine. It’s pretty straightforward to remove the cover to the pump. I put a small pan underneath to catch the water that remained in the pump body. I honestly thought I would be changing the impeller. I thought the blades would show wear. Owen really wanted to see the whole process. But the impeller looked like new. So I left it.

the condition of the existing impeller

I cleaned off the surfaces and replaced the gasket with a new one, which I put on dry, and carefully screwed the cover back on. I ran the engine for a short while looking for leaks, but found none. I couldn’t tell if Owen was disappointed. I hope he wasn’t. He loves looking at all the components of this boat which gives him ideas on how he will restore his own boat.